Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble


Dreaming Anastasia
Joy Preble


Genre: YA Paranormal Fiction
Pages: Paperback, 310 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

What really happened to Anastasia Romanov?
Anastasia Romanov thought she would never feel more alone than when the gunfire started and her family began to fall around her. Surely the bullets would come for her next. But they didn't. Instead, two gnarled old hands reached for her. When she wakes up she discovers that she is in the ancient hut of the witch Baba Yaga, and that some things are worse than being dead.
In modern-day Chicago, Anne doesn't know much about Russian history. She is more concerned about getting into a good college—until the dreams start. She is somewhere else. She is someone else. And she is sharing a small room with a very old woman. The vivid dreams startle her, but not until a handsome stranger offers to explain them does she realize her life is going to change forever. She is the only one who can save Anastasia. But, Anastasia is having her own dreams…
When I was younger I had a mild obsession with Anastasia and the Romanov’s. Disney helped my parents out when they released their version of the story (and gave me songs to sing and a floppy eared dog to love). History has always been something that fascinates me and I honestly believe it is because there are often so many gaps in history that I am able to make up my own stories to fill in those gaps with. There are many stories out there about what truly happened to Anastasia when her family was murdered and I don’t know if I truly believe that she died with the family myself.

Joy Preble has given us another great play on what happened to Anastasia with her debut novel. Weaving in the supernatural with history makes the reader question what we really know about the Romanov family like only a few authors have done (Dan Brown made many question their beliefs with The Da Vinci Code, remember?). Baba Yaga still creeps me out and she was so well written in this story that she has a whole new face in my head now... and it might not even be such a bad one now! Preble has done an amazing job with recreating this story and Anne’s links to Anastasia and her involvement in saving her are uncanny. I loved every second of this book and was lucky enough to meet Joy at NCTE this year and scored the sequel Haunted which I am reading now. Don’t you just love it when you don’t have to wait on a sequel?! Keep on the lookout for Haunted in February!

Visit Joy HERE and follow her on twitter (@joypreble) for more info on her and her upcoming novels!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore