Saturday, November 13, 2010

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo

Alexandra Adornetto


Reading Level: Young Adult

# of Pages: Hardback 496 pages

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends (August 31, 2010)

Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings.

But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth.

My students will tell you that I am in LOVE with this cover. I talk about it all the time. Sometimes we, as readers, are left wondering what it has to do with the book… but that is not the case with this one. The cover is what makes us want to pick a book up and this one has done its job. I even have some of my students who went to buy it because they loved the cover too!

I was amazed and intrigued throughout this book with the concept of angels coming to earth to do their part in ridding it of evil even in the smallest ways. The story was beautifully written and kept me on my toes throughout the read. Beth and Xavier’s love is pure and not a product of society. I love that. There is no pressure from them to be the couple that everyone wants and expects them to be because they have found love in the purest form and refuse to conform to society. The introduction of evil causes great problems in their peaceful existence, but they overcome it in the best possible way.

I went into this book knowing a few things… it was about and angel, it was written by a 17 year old and it was part of a series. I came away from this book loving the story, being amazed and inspired by this 17 year old, and beyond ready for the next one. I think that Alexandra wins for making me drool for the next one more than any book I have read recently!! This one is going strait onto my classroom shelf and I guarantee it will not be on there long. Great read!!


Here is a great interview with Alexandra that lets us know more about her and her writing... check it out!


No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore