Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 224 pages
Published February 2010


Raina Telgemeier's #1 New York Times bestselling, Eisner Award-winning graphic memoir based on her childhood!

Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly.

Though this book is in our school library and has made its way into my classroom library (I am sure that someone left it and it found a new home in one of my baskets, haha), I haven't read it until now! My sweet cousin Mandy gave it to my daughter for Christmas, so naturally I snapped it up and read it before she could! 

Raina Telgemeier's graphic novel gives us a glimpse of what her childhood was like at such an important time- middle school and the beginning of high school. I have my own (dreaded) memories of that time period and I could totally related to the need to fit in, living through something which you think will be the complete end of you (I fell off the back of a golf cart when I was in 8th grade and scraped the side of my face off.... seriously, it was bad), first love, physical and emotional changes and so much more. Looking through Raina's scope into her life was refreshing and is definitely something that preteens and teens as well as those of us who are a little further from that can relate to! 

This is definitely one that I will be recommending to a few of my students who may be having an interesting time transitioning and finding themselves. I loved Drama by Raina Telgemeier too and will have that post back up soon! For now, enjoy your reading and add this one to your list! You won't regret it!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore