Thursday, July 3, 2014

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Paperback, 233 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by GRAPHIX 
 
PLACES, EVERYONE!

Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she can't really sing. Instead she's the set designer for the drama department stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn't know much about carpentry, ticket sales are down, and the crew members are having trouble working together? Not to mention the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen. And when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier!

I have challenged myself to read more Graphic Novels so that I can recommend them to my students. I have to admit that they are not my first choice, but they are growing on me. This book sums up what middle school drama is all about. I loved the humorous, charming story that dealt with much more than a drama club. The main character Callie is in 7th grade and is trying to sort through life- especially that of boys and how to fit in. There is so much I can say about this book, but I love that Raina has introduced us to characters who are trying to find out who they are in a way that is unbiased. Great book that will definitely be well read in my classroom!!

Happy reading!!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore