Friday, November 1, 2013

Black City (Black City #1) by Elizabeth Richards

Hardcover, 374 pages
Published November 13th 2012 by G.P. Putnam's Sons BYR 
 
  
A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and
Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-old Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.
 
I love nothing more than getting a book recommendation from my students.  And I really mean that! They find some of the greatest books that I miss out on sometimes (despite my vast reading selection). Black City is by far one of the best recommendations of books that I have gotten in a very long time! I must say though, that when Jade (my amazing student) told me about it I was a little hesitant. Vampires and I have not gotten along for a while. But I decided to give it a chance and a mere 12 hours later... I was done with the book. It would have been sooner but I had to do my pesky job and teach kiddos! Haha!

This book is not your typical vampire story in any way, shape, or form. The amazing wold that Elizabeth Richards has built in the dystopian society is unlike anything I have ever experienced and its unique writing was a breath of fresh air to my reading addiction. Natalie and Ash have obstacles to jump over, under and through but the biggest one is each other. The dynamics between the two are so real and well written that you can picture them in your head very easily. This is by far one of my top reads of this year and I am just so sorry that I didn't find it sooner. Thank goodness for my amazing students!! 

Happy reading!


PS: I have to admit that I didn't take the time to write this review before getting Phoenix (Black City #2) on my Kindle that night and finishing it a few hours later! So look for that review very soon... because you know I am already done with it now too :)

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore