Friday, June 13, 2014

Half A Chance by Cynthia Lord

Hardcover, 218 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Scholastic Press 
 
A moving new middle-grade novel from the Newbery Honor author of RULES.

When Lucy's family moves to an old house on a lake, Lucy tries to see her new home through her camera's lens, as her father has taught her -- he's a famous photographer, away on a shoot. Will her photos ever meet his high standards? When she discovers that he's judging a photo contest, Lucy decides to enter anonymously. She wants to find out if her eye for photography is really special -- or only good enough.

As she seeks out subjects for her photos, Lucy gets to know Nate, the boy next door. But slowly the camera reveals what Nate doesn't want to see: his grandmother's memory is slipping away, and with it much of what he cherishes about his summers on the lake. This summer, Nate will learn about the power of art to show truth. And Lucy will learn how beauty can change lives . . . including her own.
 
Cyntia Lord has done it again. I love when I read a book and it is just honest. The characters are real, the emotions are real, and you just feel like you are living in the story. That is how I feel about this amazing novel. There was such an emotional connection to this book and the more I read it, the more I could picture certain students of mine reading it (their names are on a sticky inside so that I can give it to them when we get back to school). Words cannot express the emotional connection that comes with the book. Maybe part of that deals with having life experiences, but I truly think that it is just that good of a book. I will say, that I had to have tissues for the last bit of the book, but I had warning from my friend Donalyn's review so I am warning you too! 

Run, don't walk, and get this book (or just go to Amazon and click "Buy it now" here!!)

Happy reading!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore