Monday, December 28, 2009

F***'n Awesome Video

Okay... so I guess as a middle school teacher I have a lot more to take into account when it comes to teenagers and what they know vs. what their parents THINK they know. Some parents think that their children are little angels and are shocked when their sweet little baby comes home with demerits for dropping the F-Bomb right in front of me and then proceed to call me to question me and "what I really heard." This is yet another issue I have... parents making excuses for their children and wanting to be their buddy and not their parent! But... I digress! Back to the issue of the F-Bomb.

Too many times good books have been banned for (let's face it) the stupidest reasons... too much violence, too much sex, too many bad words, too many references to witchcraft (because we all know that when you are reading Harry Potter he is holding his wand to your head and filling it with the crap, right?!), and the list goes on. Parents and adults tend to think that their children and the children of our society today don't have to face real issues and live in cardboard boxes apparently. I guess that mentality never ceases to amaze me because I live with these kids daily. I know the real life issues that they face that their parents, guardians, church leaders, and other significant adults are apparently unaware of or choose to ignore. I have kids who I KNOW are doing drugs, who drink, who smoke, who have sex on a regular basis, who are pregnant, and who are in gangs... and I teach 8th grade people!! I hear their conversations, they come to me because they know they can get honest answers and help if they need it, and prove that there is someone out there who is looking out for their best interest while keeping the title of authority.

With that in mind... I have found a great video that talks about just that, but from an authors perspective. Jackson Pearce's novel, As You Wish, is one of those novel's that people are choosing to focus on the fact that she used the F bomb in it (one time... I might add) and forgetting the rest of the book. I will admit that I have yet to read the book, but now I definitely will. Check out this video and then check As You Wish below!




Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing—to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again—until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes.

Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will not wish for the right thing, the thing that will make her truly happy. As the two spend time together, the lines between master and servant begin to blur, and soon Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola. But it's only after Viola makes her first wish that she realizes she's in love with Jinn as well . . . and that if she wishes twice more, he will disappear from her life—and her world—forever.

Jackson Pearce spins a magical tale about star-crossed lovers, what it means to belong . . . and how important it is to be careful what you wish for.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You hit the nail on the head with that one Jennie!

D Swizzle said...

I agree. I'm a freshman in high school and trying to shove books down our throats that don't have one bit of cursing is just stupid. We curse--a lot. And, I know your a teacher and opposed to this, but I think that cursing a bit in the classroom shouldn't be an OFFENSE. Schools--at least mine--our kind of degrading the entire "freedom of speech" thing by telling us what we can and cannot say. We're not alowed to discuss abortion or gay marriage or sex, and we're not allowed to say anything deemed "inappropriate". I'm not saying we should all spend the entire class period cursing each other out, but I mean...don't you learn better when you feel like your in a free enviroment? I think this is the main reason kids don't want to learn. It feels like we can't say a thing without getting a detention slip.

That was, you know, my two cents. Feel free to ignore it, lol!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I cracked up at Jackson Pearce's video!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore