Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sister's Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red

By Jackson Pearce

Genre: YA Paranormal/Fairytale/Romance

Pages: Hardcover, 346 pages

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (June 7, 2010)


Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.



Jackson Pearce has done an amazing job with this one! Set in Atlanta and its surrounding areas, the story of the March sisters is one of fantasy, intrigue, love, and a kick-a** big sister! There is just no other way to describe Scarlett. She carries the scars both physically and emotionally of the attack that she and her sister survived when she was younger and feels that it is her duty to protect others from the vicious werewolves that have done so much damage. Jackson has truly captured the essence of being a big sister in this novel with Scarlett. Being a big sister myself I can completely understand Scarlett’s need to protect her sister and those around her forgetting her needs almost completely. Her sister Rosie, however, has other things planned and feels complete guilt because of those desires.


Jackson’s fresh writing style and use of various narrators completely captivates readers thorough out the novel. We hear from both Scarlett and Rosie throughout the novel which allows the readers to see both sides of the same story which adds layers to the already intriguing story. The action with the sisters, Silas, werewolves and “things with blades” (as someone said at the release party last night) was descriptive and made the reader feel as if they were part of the action. Overall, this is probably one of the best written books out there. I love that Jackson kept the werewolves as what they were created to be… EVIL CREATURES!! Many times authors get away from that (no names mentioned here) and the fact that she kept them true to form was refreshing… amongst other things!


After meeting Jackson (on two occasions now) I can definitely see her personality in her writing. She is an amazing lady and I am so glad that I was able to get down to her release party for Sisters Red. I loved hearing about her writing process, thought process, funny stories and so much more. She is such a delight! Here are some pics from the event…






As you can see I got my book signed, Jackson gave me a signed poster for my classroom, a yummy strawberry forturne cookie (which Kylie and I shared today) with the fortune “Never run from what scares you,” and my reading journal signed. When she signed my journal she said, “This is so cool! You are like the coolest teacher ever!” Now that made my day!

You can visit Jackson here and see what else she has going on and follow her on twitter, subscribe to her on youtube, and visit during her chats for all kinds of fun. Make sure you RUN out and get this book now! After all, who’s afraid of the big bad werewolf?

Happy reading everyone!


4 comments:

Sandy said...

This review was great ^_^. And after I got to read the prologue today I really really want to get this book. It'll most likely have to be my next book buy.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I LOVED this book! Definitely is one of my favorites for the year. You're so lucky to have went to her signing!

PS - What type of camera do you use?

Candace said...

Great review! I have this one waiting for me and I can't wait until I get to it! Your so lucky you got to go to her signing. My friend Lori wanted to go but she lives a couple hours away and didn't make it so I hope I have another opportunity to meet Jackson Pearce and get mine signed!

Unknown said...

The pictures were actually taken with my Iphone! I have an app on there called Camera Bag and it does all the cool stuff! Thanks guys!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore